L3-P1: Building Consensus

"A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus." - Martin Luther King, Jr.


The first project in Level 3 of Effective Coaching is a workshop on 'Building Consensus'.

This is the first serious project in Pathways from the Effective Coaching Path. Instead of delivering a speech, the project expects the member to choose an idea and work with a group to get their buy-in for the idea. During the process of reaching consensus, group members work together to form an agreement that is supported by all parties. This method of decision making promotes participation and a greater sense of ownership in both the process and the outcome.

A member can complete this project using 2 different methods. The choice of method is up to the member.

Method 1: Apply the techniques of consensus building by leading a group of people at a club meeting in 20 minutes. Choose a topic that will offer you and the group a challenge but avoid topics that you know are unlikely to result in consensus within the timeframe. Then deliver a 2-3 minute speech on the experience or the decision. Note: It is okay if you cannot reach a consensus within the 20 minutes.

Method 2: With the vice president education’s approval, lead a non-Toastmasters group toward consensus. Document the process and prepare a 5- to 7-minute speech about the experience to give to the club. 

I chose Method 1. The reason for this choice is explained below.

I am the Vice-President of Education for our club. Part of my responsibility as a VP-Education is to prepare the annual CSP (Club Success Plan). This requires planning the annual goals for each member. Our club is fairly large (30 members) and we expect to add another 8 members during the year. I realized that finding speaking slots for all members will be a challenge. I started exploring and discussing various options with the club President.

When I opened the Pathways project on 'Building Consensus', I realized that I could use my Club Success Plan as a basis for creating a workshop and getting consensus from members on my idea of holding regular 'speech marathons' to ensure all members get opportunities to deliver their speeches.

During the workshop, I chose 4 club members at random as volunteers but ensured there was a good mixture of gender and experience. None of the volunteers were informed of the project or the content of my project. I wanted the project and the discussions to be authentic.

I presented my challenges and solutions to the panel of volunteers and guided the discussion towards a consensus. I was not sure if all 4 volunteers would agree to my proposal. My approach to this workshop was:

1. Listen carefully to the views of the panel members.
2. Try to understand it from their point of view.

In the end, I managed to reach a consensus on my proposal. The entire workshop was recorded which you can view below. I thoroughly enjoyed this assignment.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

L2-P3: Introduction to Toastmasters Mentoring

The Online Speech Timer

L1-P2: Evaluation and Feedback